Thursday, May 1, 2014

Musing of one thinking about the man who got in an argument, lost his cool, and tried to regain it by stripping down to his shorts.

I live in Albuquerque, NM which has acquired a reputation as a place where the police go around shooting people.  Once a reputation is acquired it is difficult to live it down and it will take Albuquerque some years to live this down. 

And now for a known sequitur.  After getting an application for an absentee ballot, I began to think about how candidates acquire votes.  There is a variety of reasons among which are reputation, party line voting, and votes acquired by super salesmanship.  In the last case the candidate is usually so persuasive that people decide to vote for him/her regardless.  So elections turn out to be a kind of lottery.

Not directly related, my mother's method of betting was somewhat similar.  When Mary Kay and I lived in San Diego, she came for a visit and we took her to Tijuana to the Jai Alai games. While waiting for the game to begin she was looking at the players standing around and she said, "Number such and such is cute. I think I will bet on him."  And so that is what she did throughout the games. Oddly enough she did very well.  So I guess we will call it Nana's Principle, so much for scientific analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment