Thursday, October 6, 2016

Musing of one wondering about the family connection to Suddeley Castle in England.

Having reached the ripe old age of 99, I spend a lot of time reminiscing about the early days. Today I was trying to figure out how the telephone system worked and I think I remember. If it was a local call and a place that had no dial system, you picked up the phone and waited for a girl to say "number please" and she connected you. If it was a long distance call, you asked for a long distance operator and that operator would ask you for the name of the city and telephone number and she would get you connected there. As I remember, long distance calls were about $3/minute, so they were not very common. Of course there was no direct dialing system and no area codes so it was a rather cumbersome procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment